Seven things you should know about veganism
Ever met an African man who was vegan? Well neither have I. November 2015 so happens to be World Vegan Month. This month is about creating awareness as concerns the vegan lifestyle.
Heads up, being a vegan is completely different from being a vegetarian. It’s not about transforming oneself into a hippie; it’s more about adopting an ideology of a healthy lifestyle that not just benefits you but also animals and the environment.
Seven things you should know about veganism:
- It’s a gradual process. If you decide to go this route, you can start by introducing
goat food made up of leavessalads and vegetables to your diet.
- "Veganism is a type of vegetarian diet that excludes meat, eggs, dairy products and all other animal-derived ingredients", Jolinda Hacket of About food explains.
- You will transform to once of those people who reads the labels on everything and
even ends up calling the chef of your favourite restaurant out his kitchen to explain what he means by vegetarian option available.
- Since you won’t be eating meat or fish, you will need to find new source of protein. Try: natural soy, lentils, and beans.
- You will need supplements like iron and B12 to make up for what you won’t be getting in your diet.
- Many vegans believe in animal rights and stand against animal cruelty. Hence they do not eat foods or use products that are processed using animal products.
- Vegans are friends of the environment and believe livestock farms are a cause of erosion and pollution.
FYI: Paul McCartney and even the Queen Bey are vegans.
If you decide to go vegan, let me know (email: email@example.com).
Good luck and happy November!